Friday, April 15, 2011

a chair lift

okay, I give in.

Lisa - you can stop bugging me now. I have a blog. But don't expect great writing. Just some plagiarized crafts like this chair...


Inspired by All Things Thrifty, I have been wanting to spray paint some ugly furniture. Usually I can't see the potential in that stuff. I found this chair at Savers in December for $15. I loved the straight lines and could tell it had seen more than its' share of bottoms. I primed it and decided to paint it Krylon Bauhaus Gold, but it wasn't so lovely. so I switched to Krylon Ivy Leaf. But the paint dripped and cracked. I sanded some of it and ignored the rest. THREE cans total. Then I found fabric I loved, but it was $40/yd! So I got something for $3 at Wal-mart. hated it. Compromised with something geometric for $7/yd. My dad cut some plywood to replace the caning. Cue lame staple gun. One out of every eight staples actually went in flush with the plywood. But here it is...


and I love it!
(even though I can see some bauhaus gold peeking through here and there).


Here is my next project:
This will replace the bookshelves in the office,
which will replace the kid's plastic storage shelves,
which will hold food storage in the garage.

But I'm not using spray paint.

7 comments:

  1. Let me be the very first to comment on this lovely blog. You inspire us daily with your ideas and just being who you are. You are amazing. Now we will have your inspiration in electronic form and can refer to it often. I look forward to many wonderful ideas to come. Thanks Emily!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay and amen to lisa's comment! it's about time! welcome to the spere (you know, the blogo kind).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the blog world!! I LOVE your background. I also love the chair. I can never see beyond the yuck and tend not to do those type of projects....now I am inspired. Very pretty chair!! Can't wait to see what you do with the wall cabinet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ho-ray! See, "Every-one's doing it" can be a positive thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you finally gave in to peer pressure. ;)

    You already know I love the chair, and now I can't wait to see future projects. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! I've been waiting for this. Love the chair.

    ReplyDelete